Thursday, March 29, 2007

Belgrade 3 Eng





The Van der Merwes are doing fine in Belgrade. We did not explore much this week, but we had a big change when we moved to an apartment.



We are very happy with this arangement, but it has it's challenges.



Die children like the new place so much that they both decided never to go outside again. The changes the last few weeks was not always nice even if it is an adventure. But they are doing well. We already went for a walk along the river (even though the wind tried to blow us into the rivier!)



The other challenge is shopping. We can prepare our own meals now and that means buying ingredients. But people here cannot speak of write English. It takes a long time to see which label goes with which product. But it is not so bad, in India we did not know the products :-). But is difficult to know which flour is which - it looks the same. I also realized that it's better to answer the cashier if she starts babbeling in Srpski. Otherwise she thinks I am strange or I don't understand a word she's saying. Up to now they have all guessed to last one.



There are a few things you need to know about our apartment. It is situated 300m from the Danube river. There is a lovely walking trail next to the river.



We can see Kalemegdan from here (it might be because we are on the 8th floor - on top!). We will try to walk there this weekend if the weather plays along (I don't want to carry two children home alone).



But the best part is the shower. It is the highlight of my day! Inside is a radio, lights, sauna and foot-massage. I tried all the knobs (but you have to be careful if you start turning knobs because you don't know from which direction the water will come next). It all happens to the sound of merry radio music. I am usually out of breath when I'm done, but I still have energy to wash the dishes ... in the dishwasher (another luxury for us).



I've met my neighbour, Anna, this week in the lift. She speaks English and invited to ask her if I need anything (I think I have to invite her for some shopping). I was very excited to discover that I can actually understand my neighbour. I hope to get to know her better.



On Sunday we visited the "Assemblies of God". It is a cosy congregation that meets in an apartment. There were about 20 people. We were late, because on Saturday night time move forward one hour (our time is now the same as yours in SA). But it is a common phenomenon and they started a bit later. We enjoyed the praise and worship. They have a professional band (with a violin player). The pastor and his wife can speak English, but preach in Srpski. Another lady tried to translate for us. The pastor asked Stephan to preach on the 15th if we are still in Belgrade on that day. Please pray for his preparation. The congregation lost more than half of it's members when the Bosniers were forced to go back to Bosnia. They've lost 35 families this way, but they are busy growing again. They also struggle with registration. The main problem is the changing laws. Every time the law change they have to do it again. The pastor's name is (say it with a Russian acsent). He is from Bosnia, hios wife from Croatia and they serve in Serbia.



I, Stephan, work very - the last week I went to bed only at 12. And we also have the language problem... It seems that this project will be associated with constant pressure, but we have our humorous moments and it makes it bearable.

This is enough for now. You will hear from us again, soon.

Love
Stephan and Irene

No comments: