Monday, April 30, 2007

Belgrade 5 Eng

Dear friends and family



Thank you very much for your regular letters. We appreciate it. Belgrade got new life these last two weeks.



The trees have leaves, the fountains are running, the tulips and other flowers are blooming and they are selling ice-creams everywhere.



We went to Panceville this weekend, a town just outside Belgrade. Stephan preached there on Saturday and on Sunday he gave training in a town 3 hours drive from Panceville. The training sessions about small groups was 7 hours long and he was very tired. But it went well en he could encourage the cell leaders and taught them some small group principles.



The children and I went along, but we spend some time with the pastor's wife (she has a very difficult name :-) and their three children.



I enjoyed the company and the children enjoyed playing with the new friends. Die pastor's wife is an artist and she encouraged me to keep on drawing. She also makes the most beautiful dolls from corn leaves that she gets from her parent's plot.



For the long weekend we decided to take a trip to the mountains. Everybody recommended that we go to Zlatibor. I asked the Serbian information office to help us with phone calls, because the people don't speak English. The guy was very helpful, but after making two bookings and after two cancellations by the hotels, we finely gave up. But because we are a bit stubborn we decided to drive there anyway on Tuesday and if we cannot find a place to come back in the afternoon. We look forward to that. Except that it will be Stephan's first opportunity to drive on the right side of the road. But I think he will manage :-).



I have what I call my "Mr Bean" moments (we saw his latest movie here and we had the advantage - it was in English :-). I had one such experience in the Serbian Information office. The guy helped me to phone car rental places. One of the people spoke English and he handed met the phone. At the end of the conversation I wanted to know who I was speaking to. It was Woewoefkiwitch. I almost burst our laughing because it sounds so funny but I could keep my pose until I've put down the phone. I explained to the guy at the Information Office about the funny name this person has. He looked at the paper where I scribbled the name and his comment was "You spell it like this and it happens to be my last name." Well, luckily he struggles with Van der Merwe and shrugged it off :-).



Stephan had a few nice experiences these last two weeks. He ran the Belgrade half-marathon. He was stiff the next day but he enjoyed it very much. I will rather not tell you about my own marathon through the city looking for a t-shirt and race-number with only limited Skripsi :-). I will just say that I will not try to approach people with a paper in hand to ask something - they think I am a beggar :-). He also jogged down the Thames river in London last week. He needed to go to London for his visa and had one day to do sight-seeing.



Anandi also provides a few humourous moments. She can describe things very well. Some people in Belgrade put straps on their children when they go out for walks. Anandi's comment when se saw this was "Look Mommy, she dresses him like a dog". Luckily she said it in Afrikaans and they did not understand it :-). I showed Nadia and Anandi an old Asterix movie. The next morning I asked Nadia if she would like to read Asterix the Gaul (it helps with motivation for English reading). Anandi said "Yes, it is because he has such nice braids". She heard "girl" for those of you who didn't get it and she spoke about Obelix.



Well, it's all for now. We are getting attached to Belgrade. It is peaceful and without crime. We will also miss our new friends in the church. It is wonderful to be part of a family that is worldwide. Jesus wanted it like that, for us to be one. He made it possible through His death and resurrection.

Love
Stewan Irena Nada and Ujiway :-)

No comments: